7th Annual Tour the Legend Historic Building Sampler
This year’s theme is celebrating 150 years of women’s suffrage! The houses that are open and available for tour are:
- The Historic Governors’ Mansion, 300 E 21st St – Nellie Tayloe Ross was the first female governor in the country and lived at this house during that time
- Esther Hobart Morris house, 2114 Warren Avenue – Ms. Morris is recognized for convincing Territorial Governor John Campbell to give women the right to vote in this state, which was signed into law in 1869
- George Baxter House, 719 E 17th St – George Baxter was a vocal supporter of the suffrage movement in early Cheyenne
- E Mason Smith House, 712 E 18th St – Ms. Smith is the first county librarian for Laramie County, amongst many other wonderful things she accomplished in her life, not to mention the accomplishments of her daughters
- St. Paul’s Lutheran Church, 218 E 19th St – There is currently a female minister at this church and they have always been supportive of the women taking leadership roles
- Nagle Warren Mansion, 222 E 17th St - This house was occupied by the Young Women's Christian Association (YWCA) for a period of time
Participants can buy tickets ahead of time at the following locations: Corner Stop (901 W Pershing), Historic Governors’ Mansion (300 E 21st St), Olympus Games and Comics (1710 Central Avenue), the Civic Center Box Office, or here online. Tickets are $25 prior to the event and $30 the day of. Participants can start at any location listed above, or meet at the parking lot of Laramie County Abstract & Title at 433 E 19th Street to use the trolley to shuttle to all locations for no fee. All ticket holders are guided through each location to learn about the history of the house as well as the original owners.
This is a fundraising event for the Cheyenne Historic Preservation Board with funds being used to match grants and projects such as the restoration of the Historic Airport Fountain and the Warren Rest House in Holliday Park.
For further questions, please contact Stephanie Lowe at 307-637-6305.
22nd Street and O’Neil Avenue
Cheyenne, WY, 82001